It’s harvest time in our area and the abundance of tomatoes is overwhelming. (I’m not complaining!) Here are some suggestions for making use of every last tomato.
1. Spaghetti sauce– I make it easy on myself and puree the tomatoes in the food processor (Skins, seeds, and all), cook down until almost cut in half, and can in hot jars. I like to add seasonings when I open it and am ready to use so that my recipes are customizable.
2. Pizza sauce- Add garlic, basil, oregano, salt, and honey or sugar to the tomato puree.
3. BBQ sauce– Add dark brown sugar, honey, garlic, puree green peppers and onions, splash of vinegar, paprika, chili powder, salt, and cayenne and black pepper to taste.
4. ketchup- Add vinegar, white sugar or agave, garlic, and optional salt.
5. French dressing- Cook tomato puree way down until pasty. Add equal…
View original post 616 more words